Sunday, July 19, 2009

Troubled Eater Gets Adventurous

I recently was given a container of dark chocolate covered Edamame from Trader Joe's. I was skeptical. I love Edamame, and I love dark chocolate, but chocolate covered vegetables?! I don't think so!



For those who haven't tried it, Edamame is simply baby soybeans. You can buy them in the pod, and pop them in your mouth, or you can buy them already shelled. You eat them with a little bit of salt, and they are delicious! Edamame is a very healthy snack. The protein in Edamame is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which can help with depression. This tiny bean also has been shown to help regulate insulin levels in diabetics, and is good for women going through menopause.

But chocolate covered? Um...

I do love dark chocolate. I'm all about reminding myself of the health benefits of dark chocolate, but dipping vegetables in them? I recently saw chocolate covered bacon, and a zucchini weenie at a fair. What is the obsession with gross food combinations?



And then...I tried them. The skies parted, golden light poured down on me, and angels sang. They were actually good! Very, very good! They are salty, sweet, crunchy, and addicting. Protein and anti-oxidants? The killer combo! Well, killer might not be a good adjective. The winning combo.

Now, if only I could convince Trader Joe's to open a store closer to my home. Shouldn't there be one in every town in America? Come on, Trader Joe's!

So, what's the weirdest or grossest thing you've ever tried?

4 comments:

  1. That does sound pretty good. I love both, so couldn't be that bad. I think the grossest thing I have ever eaten is cow nuts...or something. Mountain Oysters I think they are called...I was told they were mushrooms. After a bite, I quickly realized, they were not....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that is just sick. Gag, gag, gag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the angels singing!!!!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was pleasantly surprised by how delicious these were. I would eat them all, if I hadn't given them to you.

    I still think the grossest thing I have eaten is jello. It is just nasty stuff.

    ReplyDelete