Saturday, July 11, 2009

Don't Judge, Have Pity

It's not my mother's fault that I'm such a picky eater. My mother provided me with an abundance of food choices. She cooked delicious, healthy meals. I was surrounded by fresh fruits and vegetables. Despite her best efforts, I still somehow survived basically on peanut butter. A close relative thinks I might have some sort of sensory processing disorder. Maybe some sort of olfactory dysfunction that makes many foods unappealing to me. Whatever it is, it sucks! "Psychology Today" has an interesting article about adult picky eaters.

You know, I hear people complain about picky eaters. They claim that picky eaters are being rude. They argue that picky eaters make social events difficult. Well, what about considering what life is like for a picky eater? I want to be a better eater. I really do! I get bored eating the same things over and over. I wander around the grocery store looking for inspiration. I buy foods to try, and waste my money on them when I don't like them! Do you think I like going to dinners at other people's houses, or to parties, when they are going to serve food that I just can't choke down?

I guess until my insurance will cover some sort of food therapy, this is just my burden to bear. I don't know how food therapy would work, anyway. I can just picture it now. Me, laying on a couch with my hand on my forehead. "Doctor, the smell...so nauseating. In my dreams I can feel that hairy peel crawling up my fingers!"

So, please. Have pity on your fellow picky eaters. It's not easy being in this smelly food loving world for us, either!

1 comment: