Monday, July 13, 2009

Just Try Buttering Me Up

I'm realizing that this blog is really capturing my "inner crank" and makes me sound really whiney! Just know, I blog in jest (even though I really am a pretty picky eater). Feel free to leave any comments in favor or against foods. Tell me your stories! All foodies are welcome here!

My next food, well, don't throw things at me when I say it. I hate butter. I do. I really, really don't like it. The funny part about it is, peanut butter is one of my all-time favorite foods. Go figure! I never spread butter on my food. I don't like to cook with it, and can taste butter in foods when I'm eating them. It's not that it just tastes bad to me, it makes me feel a little sick. And really, it's a good thing that I don't like it! Foods such as almond butter and apple butter are a gray area for me.

I've made butter the old fashioned way before. Have YOU? If you haven't, you might not eat it, either, if you knew about it! Here are some directions on making butter. The highlights of this process include, for me:

Letting the raw cream sit for several hours!
Cream being sour from sitting in a cellar for a week in temps 60 degrees or higher!

How it gets all lumpy and weird as you churn it!

Rancid buttermilk running out of butter if you don't rinse it properly!


Mmmmmm! Don't you want some butter now? I'm sorry. I have seen it made, I have made it, and it really grosses me out. And I have issues with warm dairy products. Butter in the fridge is hard to spread, and butter on the counter top makes me want to vomit! Why do you want to eat something that isn't spreadable, tastes weird, is the result of souring, requires the use of a weird little knife, and will give you a heart attack? Oh, but I forgot how versatile it is! You can use it to create works of art, such as this sculpture of John McCain and Barack Obama.



Somehow, I get the feeling that neither of these men can stand the heat. They better get out of the kitchen.

6 comments:

  1. Butter is so good in so many ways... I don't like to eat it raw, but it is great in baked goods!!! You are crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you are crazy :) To me, butter is like bacon, the more the better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seriously hate butter. With a passion. I don't even eat popcorn b.c the butter association..buttered or not. It is just gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eating butter is like an art. For instance, on toast. The toast must be the proper temperature to get the maximum meltage. No un-melted butter is allowed but the bread must be completely saturated. :-) I have spent many years studying this. Perhaps that explains the five heart attacks! HA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you mean "they butter get out of the kitchen"

    ReplyDelete