Sunday, July 12, 2009

The Number One Offender

Let's just jump into the deep end of Troubled Eater's pool of neuroses.

Ah, the tomato. One of the most popular fruits/vegetables in the world. A popular garden choice for people growing their own produce. The fruit/vegetable of choice for sandwiches. One of the main characters in the "Fruit of the Loom" underwear commercials. Even the subject of wild fruit/vegetable throwing festivals such as La Tomatina in Spain. It comes in all shapes, sizes, and colors. You can find it in ketchup and salsa. It's a beloved fruit/vegetable.



And yet. It's the bane of my existence.

The tomato makes me want to hurl on the spot. There isn't one thing I don't find offensive about the tomato. The smell is noxious. I can't stand the feel of it. It's squishy, slimy, and juicy. It's just wrong on all levels. I try to remember to order sandwiches without it, but since I'm the Tomato Freak, people always forget to leave off the tomato. This means I have to carefully inspect the bun to find any rogue juices that may have absorbed into the bun. And a salad? It takes me ten years to eat one, because I have to carefully pick through each piece of the salad to find all the tomatoes. I wish I was allergic to them so people would take me more seriously about tomatoes!

Thankfully, I have found that I am not alone in my tomato discrimination. Check out Tomatoes are Evil. I'm so happy to know I'm not alone.

I'll leave you with a taste of La Tomatina. Does this look fun to you?



This is my own private hell.

6 comments:

  1. How do you feel about ketchup?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like ketchup. I eat my fries plain, mostly. I do like salsa, but it has to be very light on the tomatoes, and have enough spice to cover up any tomatoness. Is that even a word? Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't like tomatoes either! And for so long I thought I was alone! My mom could never get it through her head that I didn't like them. I remember coming home from college once and she made me a salad...with tomatoes of course.

    I don't think I hate tomatoes to the same degree as you though. Sometimes I just don't even bother to say "no tomato" on whatever sandwich/burger I order and just pull it off myself. I can tolerate whatever residue is left behind.

    And I do sometimes eat ketchup...and salsa...I guess it is just the big hunk of raw tomato that I try to avoid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should try grilled tomatoes. They are great with sweet gerkins! ;-)
    King Kabob

    ReplyDelete